Thursday, June 12, 2008

One edit complete

originally posted by Craig on May 9, 2007

Last night, I completed the editing for my news broadcast segment. This will be playing on a TV during the actual shoot. I’ve burned it to DVD using iDVD. It was shot in widescreen, and iDVD 6 is supposed to support 16:9. However, I struggled for a while to get this to work. It would always display the 16:9 footage in 4:3, even though I made sure the exported video was flagged at 16:9. It would play back correctly in the Quicktime Player, but iDVD would not pick up the 16:9 flag. Argh!

Finally, I realized what I was doing wrong. I was actually creating a self-contained .mov file. When I just chose the “Export to Quicktime” option and deselected the “Make self-contained movie” option, it worked perfectly. This doesn’t make sense to me, but whatever. Now the video is in anamorphic widescreen (and even letterboxes properly on a 4:3 display.) Yay!

Here’s my “edit suite”. The PC, running After Effects, is on the left, and the 24″ iMac, running Final Cut Express HD, is on the right. You can get a sneak peek at the news broadcast on the screen. Oooh, intrigued yet??

No comments: