Thursday, June 12, 2008

IT IS FINISHED!!!

originally posted by Craig on Dec 11, 2007

Last night, I completed the editing on Legion. YAY! It’s not exactly what I had envisioned, but hey, it’s my first attempt at directing a no-budget short film with non-actors. Considering my cast have never acted before, I was very pleased with their performances, especially with my poor directing. The lighting was poor too, but hey, I was using $6 lights from Wal-Mart. You get what ya pay for.

Numerous technical issues have plagued the editing process. Final Cut Pro has become very unstable. It actually deleted about 38 clips from my timeline when I was exporting it to finish my sound mix in Soundtrack. It even deleted the original files from my HDD, forcing me to recapture the footage. Umm, thanks a lot Apple. I’m sure part of the problem is lack of RAM. Trying to use only 2GB of RAM to edit HD with 5.1 surround just isn’t feasible.

Also, the 3D animation software I was using on my PC decided to stop working as well. It now just completely locks up Windows Vista when I run it. This started right after the latest Vista update, so I’m sure I have Microsoft to thank for that. Sure, the 3D software was freeware, so I can’t really complain. However, my opening and ending sequences are unfinished, thereby making the ending a bit confusing.

After that, I’ve decided to just call it quits on this project. Once I get the DVD made, I’m going to have to reformat my iMac and see if that cures the instability.

I’m exporting the small Web version now. I’ll then do a larger version. Once that is done, I’ll post it here!

Thanks to everyone who helped me practice my film-making skills. I’m sorry that the movie turned out bad, but this is just a first step. I hope the next one will be better.

No comments: