Thursday, June 12, 2008

Lighting... the cheap way

originally posted by Craig on April 16, 2007

Preproduction is winding down. I’m just prepping all the equipment now and doing more screen tests. I knew lighting was going to be the most challenging part since I can’t buy a real set of lights. So, I have to improvise.

Since I’m shooting with a video camera with decent low-light sensitivity, I don’t need real bright lights. Plus, this movie will take place at night (though the outdoor scenes will be shot during daylight using a day-for-night trick). I’m just using 4 small aluminum work lights ($6 apiece at Wal-mart). This will give me my key, fill, and back lights, and an extra light for lighting up the background. Unfortunately, they are hard to control since they give off wide-angle harsh light. After a few test, I knew I would have to spend a little more money.

A quick trip to B&H Photo scored me some diffusion material that will be attached to the front of the lights to give the light a smoother look. No more harsh shadows. I also ordered some colored gel material to give the light a little color. That helps set the mood. I’ll use orange gels for a warmer look to the intro, but then switch to the cool blue gels for the action scene. Nothing too drastic. Just a hint of color is all you need.

I also ordered 2 cheap light stands ($19 apiece). I originally planned to just clamp the lights to furniture or wherever I wants. But as I did some tests, I realized that I would have to compromise the composition too much. The stands will help me place the lights exactly where I need them. That will save a ton of time during shooting.

All that’s left is to make some gobos, which are nothing more than patterns you put in front of a light. It can help create texture on a plain background. Since my lights don’t have holders for gobos, I’ll have to improvise again. I’ll go to Wal-Mart once again and pick up some of those aluminum cooking sheets. They normally come in a package of around 10. Simply bend them to shape and cut the patterns out. Clamp it to the light using clothespins. Instant gobo on the cheap.

Now, I just hope my lighting skills are good enough to make this film look decent. We’ll see...

No comments: