Friday, January 21, 2011

all Roped up


While writing my current feature script I am also watching movies that take place in one location. Hey, when I get to use the excuse of "research" to watch MORE movies, you better believe I'll take it! Last night I watched Alfred Hitchcock's gem, "Rope". Now, if you don't know anything about this movie, stop right here and either go read about how it was shot, or rent it. Better yet, do both.

"Rope" is a remarkable piece of cinema. "Rope" was originally a stage play, and when Hitchcock decided to adapt it, he was adamant about making his film "look" like it was unfolding just like a play would - in real time and as one single continuous shot. While dialog heavy (like a play), it is quite engaging thanks to the remarkable cast.

But the real beauty comes in how it was filmed - how the filmmakers pulled off this "continuous shot". Sir Alfred employed a mobile camera setup that would allow it to freely follow the action on a studio set. Since a reel of film only holds 10 minutes of footage, Hitchcock hid his cuts by pushing in on the darkness of an actor's back or furniture in order to mask any cuts. I can only imagine what pre-production planning was like!

This unique approach to photographing movies isn't very efficient by traditional standards, but I think it's important as a filmmaker to study different techniques. I employed the traditional "coverage" shooting for my first 3 shorts with fairly short takes, but I hope to move into more lengthy shots in my first feature. Longer shots, while requiring extra rehearsal and time, add to the overall cinematic feel to movies. "Rope" is an excellent reference tool for any filmmaker.

~ val

4 comments:

CDub said...

That's funny. I love this movie and I have a script I'm kicking around in my head that was heavily inspired by this movie....

vicious val said...

That's cool! You should totally write it! I suppose I should preface, my next script isn't related to Rope storywise. I'm "studying" it more for how it was shot and how it maintained an involving story using only one location.

CDub said...

No, I got that.It's just that this is one of Hitchcock's movies that I dont hear a lot of people talk about....

vicious val said...

That's a shame, because it's really a good movie. The acting is superb. I've always been a fan of Hitchcock's more popular movies, but after getting a book for Christmas (Hitchcock at Work), I've been renting several of his movies that I've missed. Rope was one of them. And one that really left an impression.